Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Moving - Almost Home

Almost to my new home. As I neared the boarder of Pennsylvania and New Jersey the mountains change a bit. Rather than riding this rollercoaster of a hill, the roads are carved into the sides of these monstrously sized mountains. It is absolutely beautiful.

driving into the mountains


I am not sure if it is a combination of temperatures, river moisture or elevation, or all of the above, but as you can see here, there is a cloudy mist floating right at the top of the edge of the mountain that holds the road we were on. This is a fairly amazing view in real life (pictures just can’t quite capture it.)

clouds or mist at the top of the mountains

We are heading into the Lehigh Valley here which is where the road carves directly through the mountain and at this point it is most appropriate to play the Billy Joel song Allenton, since Allentown, PA, is just down the road (which we drove through.)
A short time later we arrived. We met up with my cousins wife, Lisa, in a town called Quakertown, where she lead us through a canopy of beautiful tree laden roads. From here we were soon across the Delaware River and pretty much into Frenchtown (my new home.)

Lehigh Valley Tunnel: nearly there

I am amassing photos of Frenchtown and some of the surrounding community, but for now I will show you a few photos from day two in the apartment. Day one in the apartment was impossible. We arrive late in the day, and exhausted, we took naps. After that my cousin and his wife and child wanted to go have dinner at a local restaurant and then we headed over to the new apartment to unload the truck. This became a fiasco.

over packed apartment: too much stuff!

I should mention that I rented the apartment have never visited it. Lisa visited it for me and took a metric ton of pictures and based on those amazing photos I rented the place. What you do not get from the photos is the fact that the apartment is I the loft of a three story building made of very tall stairs. After two waves of generous friends assisting in the move (even after it had started to rain) into the apartment, my new place was packed like a storage unit. There we not a single ounce of floor space to be found. I began to get worried that I would have to start holding yard sales in my apartment to pear it all down.

my overcrowded livingroom

the office area upstairs

Eventually it all fit, but here are the photos of a slightly more sorted apartment on day two and the view out of one window in the apartment. In the coming days I will show some photos of the apartment from the outside to put it in perspective and then show how the apartment looks today. I can honestly say that I am loving every minute of it (except the small cold I am fighting off at the moment.)

a writers nook downstairs

The view out the window by the front door: into the downtown of Frenchtown

No comments: