Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth of July Weekend

Well, the weekend started out by running south to about 30 minutes outside of Philli to hang out at a coworkers house for a little fourth 'o July party. It was fun. We grilled, we ate, enjoyed a few libations,... I introduced the left-coasters to beer-soaked brats and we sat around playing games, listening to music, laughing and joking around until many late hours into the evening sitting around a table on his porch. Mike, it was yet another enjoyable time... even if you didn't get the "Rock Band" game for the Wii you were talking about for days... anyway!



On Saturday I got up a little later than normal (sleeping in doesn't happen too often these days) and ate a late breakfast while watching Gattaca on BlueRay. Gattaca is an old-ish movie about fears surrounding the future of genetic-descrimination. I always just liked it because it depicted the future from a very 50s mindset (which makes for a cool looking movie.) After watching the movie and doing a hort-load of laundry I jumped into the shower and a fresh set of crispy-clean clothing and headed across to my friend / co-worker Claudine's place where the two of us ran up to the Hoboken area to check out the newly refurbished Liberty Science Center. It, as you could expect, it really geared for kids, so naturally, that was right up my alley! They did have a very interesting exhibition on Architecture and specifically urban skyscrapers and in the middle of it a display of some steel that was taken from the rubble of the Twin Towers across the river.



It is quite amazing to acklowedge the amount of steel-bending pressure that came down to the earth that day.



After the science museum we headed into Hoboken for dinner. The next photo is of the water side of the Erie Lakawanna Subway / Train station. For those of you who know my parents story about how they met, how or when my father proposed to my mother, then you may remember the significance of this location in their story (if you don't know the story, well, I will get my dad to write it down and I will blog that another day.)


The remain photos are of our after dinner walk, including a few shots across the Hudson River aimed at the NYC skyline. Enjoy! (Better yet, if you aren't living around here, you need to come check it out for yourself some day!) Some of the color in the pictures are a little off (the light was going dim fast and all I had for a camera was the iPhone...)














No comments: