Thursday, June 26, 2008

De Lorean

For a while now, as I am driving to work I have noticed this car parked in the lot of a local mechanic that looked curiously like a DMC-12 (aka De Lorean, ie Back To The Future) and while until recently it only aroused my curiosity and brought back cozy memories from the comfort of the past, I wasn’t fully certain that it was in fact a De Lorean. So, on the ride home this evening I slowed down enough to get a good look, which in turn caused me to stop, get out, talk with a mechanic in the shop about the car, and inevitably take the following picture.



Wow. It was a De Lorean. To get completely nostalgic, I saw my first De Lorean in the movie Back To The Future which seemed like a cool car at the time, only to be surprised at my father’s laughter and entertainment over the fact that the movie creators turned a De Lorean into a time traveling machine. He went on to tell me the De Lorean Motor Company (DMC) story which stayed with me for years. That was in 1985. A few years later I stood next to a De Lorean on the street in Duluth, MN, ogling and drooling over the car and lost in my memories of various stories along with its immortalization in film!

Now, here I am years later standing next to the De Lorean. Wow, still pretty cool, but not nearly “larger than life” as I recalled it seemed in 1985. Somewhere between the stories and movies, and later reading about the real history of the DMC, it just became a neat relic, but not much more. If I want, however, I can remember the feelings of excitement standing next to it on the street a few years after the 1985 movie. I remember wondering what might happen in THIS De Lorean, if it got up to 88 miles per hour? Ah, but now it is just a car. A good car, but a car nonetheless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Del Ray" sounds like "De Lorean"
I hope this does not sounds tacky?, but I was finally al Del Ray little town in Alexandria for Tania's Art Reception(very amazing by the way),when I wind up at the Waterfront stirring at the beatiful water and smelling the air that brought me back to the past(ocean), and yes I had to take not just one , but many pictures. Thanks to the "DEL RAY that sounds like DE LOREAN" I was remenbering my times in the Pacific acean right at the moment!

Katy McDonald said...

i love it....

1985 forever!!!