Thursday, October 1, 2009

Breakfast Cappucino No Sleep Book Signing

Lately, due to some personal life schedule changes and morning tiredness I have been driving to work. This affords me the convenience of making a Starbucks run so I can grab a grande caramel cappuccino (non-fat and wet) and one of those small protein breakfast kits that consist of a grapes, boiled egg, a mini bagel and slice of cheese, along with apple slices and a peanut butter packet. I can’t tell you how much I look forward to the peanut butter and apple slices. What a combo.

For the last couple of days I have had trouble sleeping in. Basically, this amounts to waking up somewhere around 3am to use the bathroom and then having a difficult time forcing myself back to sleep. I think I have too much running through my head and as a result my brain will not relax. Creativity seems to be compatible with sleep; analysis, not so much. You would think this getting up early would make me more awake when the real morning rolls around... think again.

My job requires that I do a lot of programming and problem solving. Be it balancing creative resources for web work or just flat out figuring out the best approach to building some Flash or JavaScript widget I need for an e-learning project, I am employed to be systematic and analytical (not necessarily in that order.) Some days I feel like I am in the middle of five speed-chess games and I have only two arms and one brain!

At 3am, if I turn on the light in bathroom my brain seems to say, “time to make the donuts” and before I can lay my head back down it is off to the races problem-solving that days agenda. This is where my Kindle comes in.

Currently I am reading the newest book by Nick Hornby. For the uninitiated, Nick Hornby has written a number of books which have been turned into movies: High Fidelity, Fever Pitch, and About a Boy. My personal favs are: How to Be Good, A Long Way Down and Slam. His latest book is entitled Juliet, Naked which is about a woman who’s boyfriend is obsessed with a musician-turned-hermit. It is more complicated than this but Mr. Hornby is an amazing writer. The pages just fly. In his books he often references the music culture namely because he began his career as a columnist reviewing and writing about music. Reading his writing on music makes listening a far better experience.

For me, reading fiction is like a laxative for sleep. I don’t mean to say that it puts me to sleep. I think it just helps me to dream rather than problem-solve.

Today I have fallen succumb to my early rising habit and while I can now put myself back to sleep for a few more hours I seem to be able to rest until at least 5:30am. So, to save a few bucks I have broken out the old Italian stove-top cappuccino maker and having recently purchased some apples and Omega-3 fortified Jif peanut butter… mmmm.



I figure if I bought a grande caramel cap + protein kit every morning from Starbuck, five days a week, but replaced it with this little 5am treat, I will save nearly $20 per week… waking up early has its benefits.
So, now I sit and read the Washington Times e-edition on the iMac, watch a few interesting videos on YouTube, and read some Nick Hornby on the Kindle all while gobble and slurp my breakfast. It works for me.



As a final note, as I was writing this I made a visit to Nick Hornby’s websites where I just learned that he is on his book tour right now for the book I am reading and will be at a signing tonight here in DC! That couldn’t have worked out any better! Now, how do I get him to sign my Kindle?

1 comment:

Katy McDonald said...

When you get up at 3AM to pee....don't turn on the light. That'll help you not wake up as much. And don't drink anything within an hour of your bedtime. And say your prayers.